CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Shame on people

I had a handyman come over yesterday to give us estimates on some minor repairs that need to be done to the house. We have 2 windows that the wood has a little weather related rot on, needed our gutters cleaned, and some pressure washing done. This crooked handyman tried to sell me on all this additional work and the estimate he gave me was $1750. Now I know I am blonde, young and female, but I am not stupid. I told him that I'd have to talk to my husband when he was trying to pressure me into letting him get started and we'd get back to him. He then tried to tell me that he smelled sewage on the side of the house and he thought we had a busted pipe, but he'd be happy to take a look and repair that as well.


Today I had another, honest handyman that my realtor referred and he is going to do the needed repairs for $350. My realtor called him and asked him to work us in after my terrible experience with the other idiot. Honest Handyman looked into the "sewage" problem and guess what?? There isn't one. That is what I suspected, but it was good to have it confirmed. Rick the honest handyman was pretty annoyed that the other guy would try to take advantage of me. He told me that happens a lot and he gave me some pointers on how to determine if I am being taken advantage of in the future. Sadly he said that people see young females or elderly people as targets. 

I'm pretty annoyed at myself cause I should have sent the guy on his way the minute he put the quote in my hand. I think I'm too nice by far and I'm going to have to outgrow that. Jamey's in the service now, he'll probably be gone more than I'd like and while he's gone cars will breakdown, repairs will be done and I'll have to do it minus the protective cover of my heavily tattooed husband to do the negotiations for me. I've never had to buy a car by myself. My dad, Jamey or his dad have always done the negotiating for me. I've never had to have car repairs done by myself either for that matter. Being a girl sucks sometimes.......

1 comments:

Sandy said...

Ewwww that makes me so mad. I hate people that try and take advantage of another! Wicked man!! Can you report him to the BBB? Rob has done this kind of work before. It's not that big of a deal. Thank goodness you are one smart cookie. Wish Jamie could have come out when he was giving you that estimate!