CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 5, 2009

The little things that change your perspective.....

So today Jamey and I went to Brooke Army Medical Hospital, where he will be working starting tomorrow.(wow) It was such a life changing experience in the few minutes that we were wandering around there. (I swiped these pics off the internet) Walking through the hospital you noticed the wounded young men and women that are patients there, it's truly a humbling experience. I am older than most of these brave soldiers. I've worked in  a hospital for 6 years now, worked in ICU's and taken care of lots of patients, but never have I been touched as I was today. Part of you wants to walk up to every solider there and say "Thank you so much for your service." There were missing limbs, burns and a wide variety of injuries seen. The hospital grounds is so beautiful with lots of gorgeous walk ways and paths surrounding it. There was housing available for the families of the wounded. It was just such a humbling experience, today I was brought face to face with what it truly means to keep our country free. The sacrifices that these proud soldiers are making for their country is at times overwhelming. 

Today I truly understood what prompted my husband to decide to offer his skills as a nurse to the United States Army. Walking through those halls and looking into all those young faces really opened my eyes to the sacrifices made by so many for our freedom, and it opened my eyes to what a selfless thing my husband has decided to do with his own career. The following statement is a portion of Jamey's motivational statement that he submitted when he applied for his commission as an Officer, for the first time I truly understand what he meant.

"I believe that people should serve their country in the most productive way possible, and I believe that I can best serve my country by providing the knowledge and the comfort that I can give as a Registered Nurse in the United States Army. I would be very proud to once again serve my country. I realize that I am not joining the military by myself, but bring with me my wife of 5 1/2 years, Angela, and our 16 month old daughter, Alyssa. I have a great desire to provide for my daughter what my parents were able to provide for me, a love of one's country and a sense of duty and honor that being a nurse in the United States Army Nurse Corps will provide."
I am extremely proud of my husband, and I am extremely proud to say that I am an "Army wife."

2 comments:

Clarissa and Matt said...

What an awesome post, Angie! Thank you so much for sharing that. We are so proud of Jamey too.

Sandy said...

That was a great blog Angie and very well written. Thanks for sharing and it is very humbling to read as well. We forget all the sacrifices they are making in our behalf. I am grateful for you and Jamey. I loved what he said!
My Dad also served, over 25 years in the service in which I am very proud!