CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Grandma Mayton


This past weekend we had to unexpectedly say goodbye to Jamey's precious Grandmother, Elizabeth "Betty" Mayton. Grandma passed away on October 31, 2010. She was 82 years old. This precious woman was so loved by so many. I have had the great privilege of having Grandma in my life for the past almost 11 years.
Grandma was Christian, mother, wife, friend, aunt, grandma, great grandma, nurse, and so many other things that I can't even describe. She was a tiny little thing, when I hugged her she didn't even reach my underarm, but you usually forgot how little she was because her personality was so BIG! She was very active in her church, and the busiest retired person I ever met. She was constantly feeding people, doing for others, organizing this that and the other thing. She was one of the most selfless people that I ever met.
So many people visited, brought food and shared with us their memories of Grandma. The common theme? FOOD! Grandma feed everyone! Just about every person that came by said "Well Miss Betty just had me over for lunch..." or "Miss Betty brought me some chicken soup last week." Grandma kept a journal for about 6 weeks (she was entirely too busy to do it longer than that!) in 2007. She wrote about her day, her love for her children, grandchildren, friends and well FOOD! She literally feed the masses with her food and comforted our souls with the love that she poured into every dish.
She was so proud of her three children, three grandchildren, and her 1 great grandbaby. Grandma told me everytime that I spoke with her how proud she was of Jamey, myself and how much she loved Alyssa.
I learned a lot from Grandma. I feel so blessed that I have been able to be a part of Jamey's wonderful family. I'm often overwhelmed by the generosity and the love that this clan of people have, and they got it all from Grandma. She loved completely and unselfishly. She never expected anything in return. She just did because, well that's how she was! I have so few pictures of Grandma because she hated having her picture made but here are a couple that I have. I'll miss Grandma so, and everyone that knew her will feel the very same way....
One of the things that Rev. Tate said at her funeral was that "Miss Betty did not just think about doing for others, she acted" How true this was....

Here are a couple of recipes that I associate most with Grandma. They are fabulous and completely worth passing along!

Betty's Homemade Bread (like sourdough without the hassel of a starter!)
Makes 4 loaves
1/2 cup sugar divided
2 Tbs instant potatoes
3/4 cup very warm water
1 pkg yeast
1 1/2 cup very warm water
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp salt
6 cups bread flour
melted butter
Combine 1/4 cup sugar, potatoes and 3/4 cup water. Sprinkle in yeast to soften. In large bowl combine 1 1/2 cup water, oil, salt and 1/4 cup sugar. Add yeast mix and flour and mix well. Turn out and knead 8-10 times until smooth. Shape into a ball place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place 2-3 hours until doubled. Divide into 4 parts and place in loaf pans. Cover and let rise 1 hour or until doubled. Bake at 350 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Brush with melted butter.

Creamed Tacos
2 lbs ground beef, browned and drained
2 cans ranch style beans drained
1 small can evaporated milk
1 can chili without beans
1 can tomatoes with green chiles
1 lb velveeta cheese cut into pieces

Combine all ingredients except ground beef in a large skillet and cook over low heat for a few minutes. Add ground beef and simmer uncovered until thickened. Serve with tortilla chips and lettuce, cheese, salsa, sour cream and whatever else strikes your fancy. It's just taco salad but better!

0 comments: