CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas Cookie Time!

I think that for me the hardest part of being a military family is being away from home around holidays. I fear that Alyssa will miss out on some of the things that I enjoyed doing with my family (and I had a pretty big family with a lot of enjoyable chaos). I try extra hard to make sure that even though she doesn't have a great big, huge, loud chaotic family surrounding her that she still gets memories of all the fun things that I enjoyed growing up. My grandmother started letting us decorate Christmas cookies with her when I was a teenager and I really enjoyed it. The most memorable cookie was the one my sister and I made the year that I hit a deer with my car (yes I really did....poor baby deer, he died, we buried him and said a pray (for real...) remember I grew up in Alabama so hitting a deer is pretty likely) we made a Rudolph with a broken leg. It was pretty darn cute and a good way to honor poor Rudolph's memory, bless his heart. I want those type memories for Alyssa when she's older. She might not want to play with me anymore when she's a teenager but I hope that she'll look back at a box of cookie cutters when she's my age and has a little one and think of how much fun she had with her mama and want to do that with them (and hopefully with me too!!!)

Last year my Gran gave me her cookie cutters and I'm very proud to say that using her Sugar cookie recipe Alyssa and I made a big batch of Christmas cookies. Today we had my friend Terry and her adorable girls over to help us decorate them. I'm pretty lucky that I've found friends here in Texas that have truly become family to us. Here are some pictures of our decorating adventure today.


Kaci won the award for the cookie with the most sprinkles......and this one had A LOT of sprinkles!!!
Adding more...there weren't enough!!!!
Ashley's green hands (and mouth!!!)
Alyssa and her dirty hands (she probably ate 1/2 the container of sprinkles!)
And Viola! Our creations!! We had so much fun making them!
And because recipes are worth passing along here is Gran's Sugar cookie recipe. Both my Grandmother and my mother made these for us growing up and I'm really happy that now I get to make them for my own little girl and her friends.

Take Five Sugar Cookies
2 c Sugar
4 eggs
1 cup butter softened
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 1/2 to 7 cups of flour

Beat sugar and eggs together until light and fluffy. Beat into butter until mixed well. Add soda, vanilla, and half the flour. Mix well. Work in remaining flour to make a stiff dough (and it is VERY stiff). Roll it out and cut to make desired shapes. Place on well greased cookie sheets and bake 400 degrees 8-10 minute till lightly browned.

Icing
1 cup butter
2 tbsp milk
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Mix together until smooth.

Happy Christmas Cookie Decorating!


2 comments:

Lauren said...

Yum! The recipe looks great! I love making cut-out sugar cookies and decorating them with icing! And what fun for the children to take part in! I can't wait until Grayson is old enough to make cookies like this with me - - and I know it won't be long! Great pictures and it looks like all the kids had fun! Cute cookies. :)

Lilly's Home said...

This post is beautiful! Alyssa is a girl after my own heart! Three cheers for sprinkles!
Your new memories you are making for Alyssa will be remembered and carried on for years to come. And yes, she'll bake with you when she's a teenager...that's the best! Make time for her and she'll make time for you!
Blessings to you and your dear family and have a wonderful Christmas.
Lilly