CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 21, 2011

Caterpillar chatter

Jamey and I recently had this idea that putting Alyssa in a daycare 3 days a week would simplify our lives. Said idea didn't last long as we were all unhappy with the daycare (too many reasons to list, but we lasted all of a month and half before we decided that wasn't for us). We are fortunate and Alyssa's childcare has always been either mama, daddy and occasionally when she was younger Uncle BJ. We have always worked our work schedules around one another so that this would be possible (both of us being RN's it works most of the time). When she was born Jamey was still a civilian RN and he worked weekends and I worked weekdays. It worked great. Army life has complicated that a bit as he has no set schedule and it's ever changing, ever rotating and constantly chaotic. I thought it would be nice to not be dependent on Jamey's schedule and so we explored and made what we thought was a good decision about childcare. For numerous reasons this was not a good move for our family. So we are back to working around one another. I'm cutting back at work again for the time being and we will have Alyssa home with us until she starts pre-K in the fall to cuddle, chatter with, love and spoil until then.


Daddy does a fantastic job of keeping our girl on the days that I work. He always has ever since I went back to work when she was 3 months old. I truly can't say enough wonderful things about my husband. He sure isn't perfect but he gets a A+ in the Dad department. Tuesday I worked a shift in the recovery room and so Daddy had Alyssa. He took her to the park and they spent 3 hours there. Alyssa found a caterpillar and she and Dad had a huge discussion about caterpillars and butterflies. He went through all the stages with her and she happily chattered for almost an hour about her discoveries and new found knowledge when I came home from work. She did REPEATEDLY tell me that one day she (who is a caterpillar apparently) will turn into a butterfly and fly far, far away from me!! I won't be able to catch her because she's so very FAST! It was truly a hysterical conversation! She didn't totally get all the stages that her daddy went over with her, but she got the flying away part down (that dominated the conversation)! 3 years old and she is already plotting getting away from me! I laughed and told her that I sure hoped that she would occasionally fly back to see me...and maybe bring some of her baby caterpillars along as well. Conversations like this one make me extra thankful that we decided to forgo the daycare and keep her home with us for a while longer. Our caterpillar is growing up and fast on her way to becoming a beautiful butterfly! We have plans to get her a Butterfly Kit so she can raise butterflies this Spring. Jamey is more excited about it than she is I do believe!

2 comments:

Mommyto3andahusky said...

awww, that is too sweet! What a good Daddy! :)

Lauren said...

This is so sweet Angie. I don't blame you on the daycare thing. We don't do it either. We like to keep Grayson home and away from daycares so he doesn't get sick, etc... and we feel much better about him being with us! Sweet post - I love the caterpillar story!