CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, May 13, 2011

Homemade Wheat Bread

Pregnancy has apparently made me more domestic. Jamey and I have long been moving our family towards being more organic, and recently my canning adventures and conversations with my very green thumbed big brother and one of my aunts have caused me to really want to move up moving in that direction. We made some big changed last year, but we still have a few more to make. On that note, I'm going to start trying to make as much of our food as I can. I can avoid added coloring and preservatives in our food that way as well. If you look at the ingredients on the back of your bread bag you'd be amazed at all the unnecessary crap in it (or I was anyway). Almost all of the food we as American's consume is full of sodium and High Fructose Corn Syrup and added "coloring" and "flavor." End of mini-rant there an on to bread!

Alyssa and I tried our hands at making Whole Wheat Bread today. It was a success. It is super tasty if I say so myself. She helped with the whole process and what a wonderful helper I have! She also enjoyed helping me in the kitchen and punching down the dough. The texture is more dense than the store bought variety but the flavor is wonderful AND I know exactly what is in it!



I got the recipe from Lion House Lite Recipes cookbook. (It has some awesome recipes in it)

Whole Wheat Bread
1 package active dry yeast
3 cups lukewarm water
1/4 cup molasses
1 Tbsp light butter
1 cup white flour
6 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup oatmeal
6 Tbsp nonfat dry milk
2 tsp salt

With an electric mixer: Soften yeast in 3 cups lukewarm water in large mixing bowl. Stir in molasses and butter. Combine flours, oatmeal, dry milk, salt, add 1/4 at a time, to yeast mixture. Beating until dough forms a ball and leaves sides of bowl. Remove beaters, cover bowl and let dough rise for one hour in warm area away from drafts. Spray 2 9x5 inch loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray. Knead dough down, divide in half and shape into loaves. Place in bread pans and let rise until double in size. Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes (I did mine for 23 and it was just right so it'll depend on your oven). Remove and cool on wire racks. Makes 2 loaves about 12 slices each.


0 comments: